#CampNaNoWriMo – Week 1

Standard

In April 2017, I’ll be embarking on my fourth NaNoWriMo attempt and my second of the camp edition. This year I’m working on a brand new story, and a brand new genre. My story, The Elementals, is a YA magical realism story, with a hint of mystery and adventure too. You can read about my preparations for this year’s CampNaNoWriMo in my blog post here.

My goal this time around is to write 50,000 words by the end of April. When I embarked on CampNaNoWriMo last year, I managed to write 50k without much of a plan. This year, I have an outline and much more of a clue which direction I’ll be going in, so I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to achieve it. Reaching 5,000 words in the first three days went well. I’ve been placed in a cabin with lots of other lovely people and cheering each other on was a great motivation to get moving. I mainly wrote for an hour or two after dinner as I found this was when I was the most productive.

Towards the end of the first week, my social calendar got a bit busier and so finding time to write was challenging, but I still managed to get the word count in every day, even if I was writing right up until my bedtime. Let’s have a look and see how my stats are at the end of the first week.

week1

So as you can see I’m over a quarter of the way done, which is perfect considering I have four weeks to complete my piece in. Tomorrow, the first day of week two, I’ll be tipping over onto the 15,000 word mark which is really exciting!

What I’ve been concentrating on this week is back story and foundation. I wrote three chapters of the third section of my novel, as there needs to be a lot of back story injected into the conversation between the characters, or a reveal of who/what/when/why/how as one might do when revealing a murderer in a who-dun-it. I then made sure that my characters were asking the right questions in the foundation section of the novel, which was mainly at the beginning. I had to make sure that the characters were held off from knowing too much too soon, and so crafting this balance was what has been my main focus this week.

Getting the words down hasn’t been too much of an issue so far, as once I got the ball rolling, I generally found I could keep going until I ran out of steam and gave me a good chunk of the word count for the day. I know that the second and third weeks can sometimes be hard, so I’m preparing for that by having my outline on hand to keep me going in the right direction.

I hope you’re all having a wonderful time either participating in #CampNaNoWriMo or cheering on friends that are! Keep up the good work everyone!

#CampNaNoWriMo – Week 1

Standard

What is this? I hear you ask. National Novel Writing Month NOT taking place in November? Yes, that’s exactly it. Camp NaNoWriMo is the Writing Challenge Summer Edition, perfectly timed for you to revise the manuscript you completed in November should you wish to. For me, I’m starting something completely new.

I was absolutely chuffed with the fact I completed NaNoWriMo for the first time last November, (you can see my progress here), but that particular project was something I had been working on for a few years. This time, I wanted to try a completely new fiction idea.

Losing Lola has been an idea that has been playing on my mind ever since the Pretty Little Liars Mid-Season Finale on August 11th 2015. Yes season 6 episode 10, the one where we found out who A was and all loose ends were “tied up”, and the frustration surrounding the revelation was what made me want to write a mystery, specifically a murder mystery. I, like many other PLL fans, had come up with fantastic and elaborate A theories, ones that would give Agatha Christie a run for her money, but those hopes and dreams of a surprising well thought out A reveal were dashed.

So my mind began to work, and a lot of the time and effort I put into grafting A theories, I put into making an outline for my own mystery instead, and thus Losing Lola was born.

Camp NaNoWriMo is slightly different to your usual monthly writing challenge, as you can set your own word count. I’m still being fairly ambitious and hoping to achieve a manuscript of 50,000 words by the end of the month.

So in my first week I managed to write a grand total of 13,052 words, and according to my stats, I’m on target.

week1

If I can achieve the same amount of words for next week as I did this week then I will be half way through the month and half way through the manuscript. Wish me luck!